Here’s what billionaire Warren Buffett suggested to cure the economy and end government gridlock, during an interview on CNBC:
Buffet told CNBC, “I could end the deficit in 5 minutes. You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election.”
The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months and 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971…before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc.
Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less to become the law of the land…all because of public pressure.
Forward this as an email or as a link to this blog post. Send it to a minimum of twenty people on your address list and in turn ask each of those to do likewise.
In three days, most people in the entire USA will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around. The results would be increased opportunity and the possibility of a higher standard of living for people today and in the generations that follow.
Remember the opening words of the US Constitution? “WE THE PEOPLE.” Our elected government officials somehow got the impression it says “You the people and We the elected fat cats.”
Salary of retired US Presidents . . . . . . . . . .. . $180,000 FOR LIFE
Salary of House/Senate members . . . . . . . . $174,000 FOR LIFE
Salary of Speaker of the House . . . . . . . . . . $223,500 FOR LIFE
Salary of Majority/Minority Leaders . . . . . . . . $193,400 FOR LIFE
Average salary of a teacher . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. $40,065
Average salary of a deployed soldier . . . . . .. . $38,000
(Now you know where some immediate cuts should be made!)
Let’s get this passed…The Congressional Reform Act of 2014
1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no overly-generous retirement pay when they’re out of office. No government pension simply for being elected. This should apply to the president and all elected government officials. (Bill Clinton is out hustling speaking dates for himself; he charges more for EACH speaking date than his entire annual pension! You think he needs his paltry pension? He was impeached, for crying out loud, because he repeatedly lied while in office! And “we the people” continue to pay him!)
2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. Any future such funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates in Social Security along with the American people. Social Security funds may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
5. Congress loses their current gold-plated health care system and participates in the same health care program as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressional members are void effective 1/1/15. The American people did not make these contracts with members of Congress. Congress made all these beneficial contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career, and it certainly should not be a means to a guaranteed fat government retirement check. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s) then go home and go back to work.