The Obama administration’s IRS was caught red-handed persecuting conservative advocacy groups beginning in 2012. What should have been the scandal of the century has been buried by the nation’s so-called “news” outlets.
The media’s intent is clear: protect the administration’s leftist agenda at all costs. If the American people knew that the IRS was wielding its power to suppress free speech that challenged the administration’s leftist agenda, they would be outraged.
Not even news that a top Democrat pressured the IRS to target Conservatives can shake the broadcast networks out of their slumber in covering the IRS scandal.
Brent Bozell, president of the Media Research Center, has said “What will it take for ABC, CBS, and NBC to cover the IRS targeting scandal, which is no doubt bigger than Watergate? Time after time after time, we’ve seen major developments in this story go completely unreported, or, at best, given a few token seconds. The liberal media are downright allergic to the truth about the IRS scandal.”
“This administration has lied countless times to the media and to the public, and they just continue to sit there and take it. They’re so lovesick with everything Obama that they can’t bring themselves to do their jobs and report the news. It would be pitiful if it weren’t so dangerous for the country.”
The media’s deliberate blackout of the IRS scandal is one of their most shameful legacies. The Media Research Center is leading the charge to expose the liberal media’s refusal to disclose every shocking development in this ongoing scandal, including:
- On August 2, FoxNews.com reported that House Oversight chairman Darrell Issa had accused acting IRS Commissioner Danny Werfel of blocking the committee’s investigation. Network coverage: Zero.
- On September 4, CNN’s Drew Griffin reported that documents showed Lerner’s original story blaming low-level employees was a lie. Network coverage: Zero.
- On September 11, 2013 the Wall Street Journal exhibited how Lerner’s own e-mails implied a liberal political agenda at work. Network coverage: Zero.
- On September 18, 2013, a front-page analysis published by USA Today confirmed the targeting of conservatives. ZERO seconds of coverage.
- At the end of March 2014, the New York Times noted that the House committee was still being frustrated by non-cooperation from the IRS. Network coverage: Zero.
- And, an April 7, 2014 staff report by the House Oversight and Government Reform committee thoroughly demolished what remained of the notion that both sides had been targeted. Network coverage: Zero.
- Finally on May 7, 2014, The House of Representatives voted to hold disgraced IRS bureaucrat Lois Lerner in contempt of Congress. Total network coverage? 15 seconds on Good Morning America. Zero on CBS and NBC.
These developments were all incredibly newsworthy by any standard, but they were largely ignored by major national news outlets.
The liberal media are fanatically committed to downplaying or outright suppressing this scandal. The MRC is committed to exposing the media’s agenda, and educating Americans about the IRS’s deplorable abuse of power.
NORM ‘n’ AL Note: Obama’s “most transparent administration in history” has tried so hard to be anything but, and has created so many scandals since moving into the White House, that it is a full time job for some of our news and oversight agencies to keep up with it all. The Media Research Center is one of those agencies which has promised the American people to research and publish the truth and only the truth, no matter what the fallout happens to be. We recommend this alternative news outlet to you very highly. Now that emails have finally surfaced which show us exactly why Lois Lerner would not testify before Congress (her emails prove she was part of the conservative targeting scheme), let’s see what the major news outlets give us on this story now.
As always, posted for your edification and enlightenment by
NORM ‘n’ AL, Minneapolis